NAB to reopen its 600 Australian branches after bomb threat was revealed to be a hoax - but bank says the shutdown was necessary
The National Australia Bank has started to reopen all of its branches in Australia following a security threat that forced them all to shut down.
澳大利亚国民银行(National Australia Bank)开始重新开放其在澳大利亚的所有分行，此前安全威胁迫使这些分行全部关闭。
Several bomb threats had been made to NAB branches across the country, but federal and state police have since deemed the threats to be a hoax.
The bank made the announcement on Wednesday afternoon that all branches - including commercial offices - would close but didn't clarify what the threat was.
However, branches would reopen on Thursday as per usual.
'Over the course of today we have been working with authorities to assess the physical threat made against NAB branches, which resulted in the evacuation of our branches, business banking centres, as well as commercial sites where branches and business banking centres are co-located,' a spokesman said late on Wednesday.
'The latest advice from State and Federal police is that the threat is not credible and has been deemed a hoax. As a result, we are pleased to advise that it is now safe to return to all NAB locations from Thursday morning.'
However, the Big Four bank made no apologies for their actions.
'We understand that this caused inconvenience to our customers and colleagues, however their safety and security is our absolute priority and that is why we took the action we did. We did so with the information that we had at the time,' the spokesman said.
On Wednesday, customers told tales of being ushered out of branches without any warning or information about what was going on.
A customer told 2GB he was 'abruptly booted out' of an NAB bank branch in Revesby, western Sydney.
Another man, who was at the North Sydney branch, told Sydney Morning Herald an announcement was heard across the bank.
'This is not a drill please evacuate the building and head to the evacuation point,' the announcement said.
A 3AW Melbourne caller said staff and customers were all suddenly rushed out of the branch she was in.
NAB currently have 900 branches worldwide, with 600 just in Australia, and serve nine million customers and employ 30,000 people.
Many praised the actions of the bank for taking staff safety so seriously.
'Glad you are thinking of your staff first. Well done NAB,' one person said.
Another said: 'It is good to see staff safety is important. Hope the threat is isolated and dealt with.'
Others were glad they saw the message before they headed to the bank on Wednesday afternoon.
Many were concerned they wouldn't see their wage deposited into their account, but were reassured this would not be the case.