Aussie woman who was strip-searched at Qatar's Doha airport after a premature baby was found in a bin opens up about scarring moment she was ordered to take her pants off
An Australian woman who was strip-searched at Doha airport after a premature baby was found in a bin has spoken about the moment she was asked to pull down her underwear.
The young victim was one of 18 women, including 13 Australians, forced to undergo an invasive medical exam in Qatar on October 2.
She had already boarded her flight to Sydney when officials ushered off the plane and into an ambulance on the tarmac.
'Police officers were coming on the plane. They had guns,' the women told 60 Minutes in a sneak peak video.
The woman, who wished to remain anoynmous, was reduced to tears as she recalled the moment she wasinvasively examined.
'She goes: ''We need to remove your underwear''.Why, like why?' the woman said.
The young traveller, who was returning to Australia with her husband after living in London for three years, said she was immediately worried about the ramifications.
'I was worried if I said no, what's going to happen to me in this country?' she said.
'I remember laying there thinking, ''This isn't right. This is not how this is supposed to happen''.'
The baby was found alive in a bin at the Hamad International Airport before flights - including one to Sydney - were delayed as officials tried to find the mother.
The baby's mother was not found and the women were eventually allowed to depart before serving hotel quarantine in Sydney.
In a statement, the Qatari government said a newborn was found in a garbage bin, concealed in a plastic bag and under rubbish on October 2.
'The baby girl was rescued from what appeared to be a shocking and appalling attempt to kill her,' the government said last month.
'The infant is now safe under medical care in Doha.'
The government said while the aim of the urgent search was to stop the perpetrators from escaping, it regretted any distress or infringement on the personal freedoms of any traveller caused by the incident.
It promised to share an investigation with international partners.
'The state of Qatar remains committed to ensuring the safety, security and comfort of all travellers transiting through the country.'
Prime Minister Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz Al Thani and interior minister had offered his country's 'sincerest apology' to the women forced to undergo the examinations.
总理谢赫·哈立德·本·哈利法·本·阿卜杜勒阿齐兹·阿勒萨尼(Sheikh Khalid Bin Khalifa Bin Abdulaziz Al Thani)和内政部长向被迫接受检查的妇女表示了该国最诚挚的道歉。
The 60 Minutes episode will air on Channel Nine on Sunday night.